A few good resources about Calm Parenting:
- Peaceful Parents, Peaceful Kids: Practical Ways to Create a Calm and Happy Home by Drew
- Screamfree Parenting: The Revolutionary Approach to Raising Your Kids by Keeping Your Cool by Runkel
- 7 Habits of Highly Effective Families by Covey
- The DVD serives Celebrate Calm by Martin
- Getting to Calm: Cool Headed Strategies for Parenting Tweens and Teens by Kastner and Wyatt
In the 7 Habits of Highly Effective Families, Covey presents the benefits of thinking about the individual relationships you have with family members as an Emotional Bank Account. In my home, I would have three accounts, one for each child and one with my husband. In this account, deposits include things like speaking nicely to each other, speaking nicely about each other, spending time together or helping with a task. Withdraws include things like arguing, snide remarks, talking negatively about each other or being late for something important to them. The idea is to keep the balance overwhelmingly positive. It needs to be far more positive becaues the relationship will face challenges and upsets and the positives need to be able to absorb the negatives. Think about each account in the last 24 hours. Ask yourself if there was a positive balance. Keep a running tally moving forward.